I'm forever on a conquest to find yummy, easy-to-fix new recipes to share with my family. Recently, I've found some very yummy dishes, one divine veggie and one dessert to add to our repertoire.
We hope you enjoy them also!
Funfetti Cookie Recipe (off Pillsbury box)
FYI: Funfetti cake is my absolute favorite!
1 pkg. Moist Supreme Funfetti Cake Mix
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
1 tub vanilla Funfetti frosting (will need about 1/2 of the tub)
Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, oil and eggs; stir with spoon until thoroughly moistened. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With bottom of glass dipped in flour, flatten to 1/4 in. thickness.
Bake for 6-8 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool one minute and remove from cookie sheets.
Once cool, spread icing on cookies and sprinkle immediately with Funfetti. Let icing solidify before storing in airtight container.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
(from Hallmark magazine)
1 T. olive oil
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 tubs (10 oz.) ea. brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved (I use frozen sprouts - I let them thaw a bit and then halve them.)
1 tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
1 tsp. lemon juice
Heat oven to 500 degrees (yes, 500.) Line a rimmed 15 x 10-in. baking sheet with nonstick (or adequately oiled) foil. Mix oil, garlic, salt and pepper in a large ziptop bag. Add sprouts, seal and coat the veggies with mixture.
Spread sprouts on prepared baking sheet. Roast 15 minutes or until crisp-tender when pierced. Sprinkle with lemon zest and juice. Toss to coat.
Easy Paella
(from Parents magazine)
FYI: I have a friend who substitutes chicken for the shrimp in the recipe since her hubby is allergic and she said it still tastes yummy!
2 T. butter
1 pkg. Spanish Rice flavored Rice-A-Roni
1.5 cups water
1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes (or one fresh, diced)
1/2 c. salsa (use intensity of choice-we use medium)
1 can corn, drained (15.25 oz.) (I use frozen instead)
1 pkg. cooked chicken or turkey sausage
1/2 lb. peeled, cooked shrimp (we de-tail ours too)
chopped cilantro (optional)
In a large skillet, melt butter over med. heat. Add rice mixture (reserving flavor packet for later) and brown according to package directions. Increase heat to high and stir in water, tomatoes, salsa and contents of flavor piuch. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer 15 min.
Stir corn and sausage into rice. Layer shrimp on top and cook five minutes more until shrimp are heated through and liquid has absorbed. Top with cilantro, if using.
Kufta
My friend Sarah served us this dish - Its Lebanese in origin. She shared the recipe with me, now I'm sharing it with you!
Put 1-2 T. oil in a pan and brown 1-1.5 lbs.of cubed steak meat and about 1/2 of a diced onion until the meat is brown and the onion is tender.
Add two cans of undrained green beans, 1 can diced tomatoes and two 8 oz. or 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce. Season with salt, pepper and cinnamon until fragrant. Stir and let cook for about 20 minutes until it cooks down to a thicker consistency.
Serve on a bed of rice sprinkled with cinnamon.
Easy Stromboli
from Parents magazine
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well.
1/2 c. shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese blend (or any cheese of your choice - I use 2% cheese)
1 pkg. (11 oz.) refrigerated Pillsbury thin crust pizza dough (or you can make your own... roll into rectangle)
1 c. pizza or pasta sauce
2 tsp. grated Paremsan cheese
2 tsp. milk
1 lb. turkey or chicken breast tenderloins, cut into strips
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Boil a cup of water on medium in a large skillet. Add turkey and return to a boil. Cover and simmer 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then chop. Unroll crust into a 14" x 12" rectangle on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Sppon half the sauce down the center of the dough, lengthwise. Leave roughly 3 in. on either side.
Layer spinach, turkey and cheese over sauce. Cut dough on either side of the sauce into roughly 12 sections. Fold strips over each other, meeting in the middle, over the filling. Brush top with milk and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
Bake 12 minutes and serve with remaining sauce.
I really love this recipe because it's so versatile. I'd love to try a whole wheat crust if I can find one! AND...If you want to go the traditional route, one could sub in some pepperonis and pizza cheese....OR whatever else you might want inside. :-) The way the recipe reads, (from Parents) it's designed to be moderately healthy.
ENJOY!
1 comment:
Love the recipes Carrie! That paella you made was tasty :) I bet Josh would like it with chicken. I will have to try the others, I love me some roasted brussels sprouts (I'm such a dork). Love ya!
Post a Comment